Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|UN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault -Elevate Profit Vision
Algosensey|UN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 17:04:59
LAGOS,Algosensey Nigeria (AP) — The United Nations said it will repatriate nine peacekeepers from a South African contingent in eastern Congo who were accused of sexual assault and other abuse.
The U.N. decided to immediately repatriate the peacekeepers and a senior officer of the South African army “due to the seriousness of the allegations against them,” the organization said in a statement on Friday.
The senior officer allegedly tried to hinder a probe into the allegations and threatened other peacekeepers. Two other indicted senior officers will also be replaced, the U.N. said.
More than 12,000 U.N. peacekeepers are deployed in eastern Congo, where more than 100 armed groups are active.
The U.N. said its preliminary assessment found that the nine peacekeepers were “fraternizing after curfew hours” in prohibited bars where prostitution takes place. The soldiers were also alleged to have assaulted staff of the peacekeeping mission and the military police who were trying to arrest them, the statement added.
South African authorities have indicated their “full cooperation, in particular through the deployment of a national investigator,” the U.N. said, promising that victims would be assisted and that the peacekeeping mission would remain committed to upholding U.N. standards.
Such accusations of sexual abuse by U.N. peacekeepers are not new in various parts of the world, from Congo to Haiti where peacekeepers are deployed. The victims in many instances are children.
The abuses are particularly rampant in Congo, which accounted for one-third of the nearly 2,000 sexual abuse and exploitation complaints made against the U.N. worldwide in 2017.
The U.N. has also been accused of not doing enough in handling such allegations. Last year, Secretary-General António Guterres said the organization has “not succeeded in all respects, but neither have we stood still” in handling the sexual abuse crisis.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- No New Natural Gas: Michigan Utility Charts a Course Free of Fossil Fuels
- Some of America's biggest vegetable growers fought for water. Then the water ran out
- This Is Not a Drill: Save $60 on the TikTok-Loved Solawave Skincare Wand That Works in 5 Minutes
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Selling Sunset's Amanza Smith Shares Update on Massive Pain Amid Hospitalization
- In the Pacific, Global Warming Disrupted The Ecological Dance of Urchins, Sea Stars And Kelp. Otters Help Restore Balance.
- People in Lebanon are robbing banks and staging sit-ins to access their own savings
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Taylor Lautner’s Response to Olivia Rodrigo’s New Song “Vampire” Will Make Twihards Howl
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Real estate, real wages, real supply chain madness
- Q&A: A Sustainable Transportation Advocate Explains Why Bikes and Buses, Not Cars, Should Be the Norm
- Inside Chris Evans' Private Romance With Alba Baptista
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Residents Want a Stake in Wisconsin’s Clean Energy Transition
- Florida lawyer arrested for allegedly killing his father, who accused him of stealing from family trust
- Warming Trends: The Value of Natural Land, a Climate Change Podcast and Traffic Technology in Hawaii
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Kristen Stewart and Fiancée Dylan Meyer's New Film Will Have You Flying High
The Senate’s Two-Track Approach Reveals Little Bipartisanship, and a Fragile Democratic Consensus on Climate
Spam call bounty hunter
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Style Meets Function With These 42% Off Deals From Shay Mitchell's Béis
A $1.6 billion lawsuit alleges Facebook's inaction fueled violence in Ethiopia
Trump’s Budget Could Have Chilling Effect on U.S. Clean Energy Leadership